Welcome to the Town Office of Vinalhaven
Vinalhaven is an island town in Knox County, incorporated on June 25, 1789 from portions of North and South Fox Islands.
Settled in 1765 by the Carvers of Massachusetts, Vinalhaven became a major granite quarrying center, supplying the stone for New York's Church of St. John the Divine and the Brooklyn Bridge.
The island town is home to two nature preserves, both managed by the Nature Conservancy. Lane’s Island Preserve consists of rolling moors that run down to meet the sea on a 43-acre island joined to Vinalhaven by a stone causeway. Rough trails lead to beaches and bold shoreline, where the surf is spectacular on a stormy day.
The Vinalhaven-North Haven Archipelago preserve features six islands (Big Garden, Big White, Sheep, Smith, Brimstone and Little Brimstone) that orbit the larger islands of Vinalhaven and North Haven in Penobscot Bay. Supporting an impressive array of birds, most of the islands, with the exception of Brimstone, are without trails though are nice location for picnics and walks along the beach.
The State Ferry Service provides transportation to and from Rockland daily.